By triggering $1,400 stimulus checks for millions of people and expanding the child tax credit for many families, the pandemic offered a clear takeaway for some officials: That putting tax... Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Quests. | Journs. | Gen. | News | Quiz | Links | TV | Music | Movies | Games | Sports | Sug. | Lit. | Jokes | Artcls. | Newb | O.S.
Growing number of US mayors considering guaranteed basic income

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next (showing 1-25 of 105)

Back to Thread List
Bottom Last Post

1 month ago - Friday 7/23/21 - 12:05:39 PM EST (GMT-5)
By triggering $1,400 stimulus checks for millions of people and expanding the child tax credit for many families, the pandemic offered a clear takeaway for some officials: That putting tax dollars in people’s pockets is achievable and can be a lifeline to those struggling to get by.

Now a growing number of mayors and other leaders say they want to determine for sure whether programs like these are the best way to reduce poverty, lessen inequality and get people working.

https://apnews.com/article/business...
1 month ago - Friday 7/23/21 - 5:25:12 PM EST (GMT-5)
So let me get this straight, I work, I pay taxes, and that money goes to people who do not work. Yeah, makes perfect sense for a Democrat.
1 month ago - Friday 7/23/21 - 5:29:07 PM EST (GMT-5)
And Jesus sayeth, pull thine self up by thine own boot straps
1 month ago - Friday 7/23/21 - 5:31:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 7/23/21 - 5:25:12 PM Noldor wrote:
So let me get this straight, I work, I pay taxes, and that money goes to people who do not work. Yeah, makes perfect sense for a Democrat.


I guess we could also say that as the blue states do this fir the red states
1 month ago - Friday 7/23/21 - 10:42:16 PM EST (GMT-5)
The blue state economies are currently lagging behind those of the red states...

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/...


1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 11:30:25 AM EST (GMT-5)
Yeah that’s during the pandemic since the red states didn’t bother instituting restrictions, making the virus issue worse for everyone, and keeping their infection and death rates on the upswing. Historically, blue keeps red afloat.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 2:06:45 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 7/23/21 - 5:25:12 PM Noldor wrote:
So let me get this straight, I work, I pay taxes, and that money goes to people who do not work. Yeah, makes perfect sense for a Democrat.


i've heard stories of people still working despite getting basic guaranteed income. if i was offered this deal i'd continue working and probably split the government handout between savings and charity.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 2:34:28 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 7/24/21 - 11:30:25 AM camelboy wrote:
Yeah that’s during the pandemic since the red states didn’t bother instituting restrictions, making the virus issue worse for everyone, and keeping their infection and death rates on the upswing. Historically, blue keeps red afloat.


Does it really matter what it has been historically? We are talking about the current situation. This isn't the blue states earning money for the red state people that don't work, it's the opposite.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 3:24:36 PM EST (GMT-5)
It does matter, yes.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 3:26:11 PM EST (GMT-5)
But! I love the Republican response to facts - “does it really matter when it doesn’t support my bullsh*t?” Lololol
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 3:48:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 7/24/21 - 3:26:11 PM camelboy wrote:
But! I love the Republican response to facts - “does it really matter when it doesn’t support my bullsh*t?” Lololol


The facts do support what I am saying though- - the Red states are supporting the Blue states, rather than the other way around.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 3:50:06 PM EST (GMT-5)
If you are going to claim the blue states work to support the red states, you are incorrect given the current state of the economy.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:27:59 PM EST (GMT-5)
Only because, as speculated, they didn’t shut their economies down like the blue states did. And they’re leading the pack in deaths and new infections. They cared more about their political careers and money than they did about human life. Seems right on par with the Republicans.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:39:27 PM EST (GMT-5)
I get that you are just out to play the party line against 'the Republicans', but what do their political careers have to do with anything?

It was a matter of balancing economics with the pandemic. Weak/failing economies and job losses (not to mention social isolation) can cause deaths as well.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:44:03 PM EST (GMT-5)
I'm in California. We have been mandated to stay indoors, wear a mask, and have had lockdowns for over a year. That didn't stop the virus. In fact we've got one of the highest infection rates in the country. You can't stop this virus with political feel good mandates. It's going to roll through. The best you can hope for is to slow it down.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:44:07 PM EST (GMT-5)
Don’t try to diminish what I’m saying with blaming it on my adherence to the party line. It’s been an expansive effort on the part of Republican politicians to deny the pandemics impact to maintain their favor with Trump and his cronies who knew that their poor handling of this whole thing would cost them seats, so they just doubled down on the lies and denial. Now who is being naive thinking that these politicians aren’t looking out for themselves?
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:46:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:44:03 PM Noldor wrote:
I'm in California. We have been mandated to stay indoors, wear a mask, and have had lockdowns for over a year. That didn't stop the virus. In fact we've got one of the highest infection rates in the country. You can't stop this virus with political feel good mandates. It's going to roll through. The best you can hope for is to slow it down.

By following the science. By encouraging ALL of the people to follow the science and stop denying it. Pushing politicians and scientists and religious leaders get on the same page.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:47:41 PM EST (GMT-5)
That was the original goal of the lockdowns. Just to slow it down until hospitals can get better prepared to handle the influx of Covid patients.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:49:11 PM EST (GMT-5)
It doesn't matter what political policies you enact. The virus is going to roll around and kill people.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:50:59 PM EST (GMT-5)
And the Trump took a clear position of denying the impact, telling people complete falsehoods about the management and treatment of it, and even demanding that the testing be slowed down to drop the numbers because they made him look bad.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:51:39 PM EST (GMT-5)
[quote]On Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:49:11 PM Noldor wrote: It doesn't matter what political policies you enact. The virus is going to roll around and kill people. [/quote

So we should just pretend and not hold leaders accountable for lying?]
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:55:01 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:46:44 PM camelboy wrote:
By following the science.


The science says that if you've been vaccinated the chances of getting infected by the virus are very small. Why continue locking everything down and require a mask for those that have been vaccinated?

The science says children have a very low chance of being infected or dying from this virus. Why are we requiring children to wear masks, which can also be harmful for them.

For high school athletes the mask is harmful especially for things like track and field. The runners aren't getting enough oxygen and small particles from the mask are being sucked into their lungs.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:57:26 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:50:59 PM camelboy wrote:
And the Trump took a clear position of denying the impact, telling people complete falsehoods about the management and treatment of it, and even demanding that the testing be slowed down to drop the numbers because they made him look bad.


Trump was the one who accelerated the vaccine program and got something out there in record time.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 5:08:58 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:50:59 PM camelboy wrote:
And the Trump took a clear position of denying the impact, telling people complete falsehoods about the management and treatment of it, and even demanding that the testing be slowed down to drop the numbers because they made him look bad.
On Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:57:26 PM Noldor wrote:
Trump was the one who accelerated the vaccine program and got something out there in record time.

And lied continuously about it and pressured Republican governors to do the same.
1 month ago - Saturday 7/24/21 - 5:12:18 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 7/24/21 - 4:44:07 PM camelboy wrote:
Don’t try to diminish what I’m saying with blaming it on my adherence to the party line.


When you say things like "Seems right on par with the Republicans", it sounds like you are just being partisan.

I know many people that have been going to work all through the pandemic (I am one of them). It is indeed possible to maintain a level of safety against the pandemic and still keep people working, and the economy from collapsing.

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next (showing 1-25 of 105)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Back to Thread List
Top

 
Edit